Saturday, October 22, 2016

Day 24 - Down-under 2016 - Thu - 10/20/16 - Sydney -1


We had a leisurely wake up as we didn't need to get off the ship promptly. After breakfast we waited for the clearance for in-transit guests to leave the ship. In fact all guests and personnel had to leave the ship and pass through immigration. Once we were through immigration, we headed for the shuttle to Darling Harbor as the ship was moored at the White Bay Cruise terminal which is a nice terminal (it's just located in a remote harbor location). The shuttle dropped us off by the acquarium and we walked up to Kent Street which had a camera store that I had located online. They had none of the model I was seeking, so we walked a few more blocks to a second store which had none also. But the clerk recommended a store across the street BJ HIFI. This store didn't have it either, but he checked his online inventory and found a display model without the battery in their Broadway store which was about a 2 mile walk away. So I bought it (a great price at $266US) and had it held for me. Why you ask would I go through all of this? I have a Nikon AW100 that the display quit working at Dravuni Island while snorkeling. The replacement model, an AW130, uses the same batteries so I wouldn't need to resupply myself with another charger or battery.


So off we headed on our walk down George Street past the Great Southern Hotel where we stayed 2 years ago, through Chinatown, and to the store where we picked up the camera. I put my battery and SIM card in it, set up the settings and fired it up. It worked! Along the way we picked up a couple travel guides for Australia and at some spicy Mexican food for lunch.  


It was then a long walk back to the shuttle which took us back to the ship where we unloaded extra gear, changed clothes and headed back on the shuttle to the acquarium. From there we walked to the Sydney Opera House where we watched My Fair Lady (directed by Julie Andrews). After the performance, another couple shared a cab with us back to the ship.


Back onboard around 11:15pm, I spent another couple hours doing electronic research and attempting to set up my Australian SIM card. Since morning was going to come early, I finally had to stop without it being successfully being set up.


While the destination is important, remember to savor the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment